Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In need of some stocking advice/opinions

+2
fish lady
Shell
6 posters

Go down

In need of some stocking advice/opinions Empty In need of some stocking advice/opinions

Post by MartyM Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:04 pm

Hey, i have an 29g community tank which was being cycled with 3 roseline sharks (denison barbs) and 3 black skirt tetras. All my water tests have been where they should be for the past week or longer so i decided to add a couple more fish!! I added a beautiful male betta blackish head with blue body with red and blue crown tail. And a kribensis cichlid, which i was told was great for a community tank as it is one of the most peaceful cichlids. Long story short the betta was being a bully so i ran out and bought a 5.5g tank for the betta, and replaced him with a neon blue dwarf gourami. So i was wondering if anyone had any input on what would go nice in this community tank with 3 black skirt tetra, 3 denison barbs, 1 kribensis cichlid, and one neon blue dwarf gourami?? Can i add a few more male dwarf gourami's of different type/color? additions i would preferably like to be very colorful and vibrant??

Also now that i have a 5.5 for just the betta which has no heater atm... hope that's okay??? is there any tankmates i can add to keep him company... was thinking african dwarf frogs. But read a few articles about samonella being linked to them? not sure if that's anything to worry about or not? anyhow any input suggestions and thoughts on either tank would be appreciated.

MartyM
Fish Fry
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

In need of some stocking advice/opinions Empty Re: In need of some stocking advice/opinions

Post by GaryE Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:36 pm

Gouramis are more territorial than you'd expect, and in many cases (the neon are artificially coloured ones) not great healthwise.
I expect the frogs and betta would not work - he's best on his own. Betta splendens should be in the mid 20s, but can thrive in clean unheated tanks, living much longer lives.
The Denisons are probably babies, but with them in there, you are full. You are always best to plan for fish to grow, fast. You'll keep them right and take good care of them, so they'll grow. A 29 is not a big tank for that species.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

In need of some stocking advice/opinions Empty Re: In need of some stocking advice/opinions

Post by Shell Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:06 pm

I agree with Gary, your betta should be fine in an unheated tank as long as there is filtration and the temp is relatively steady and doesn't drop too low - our betta tanks sit at about 73 - 74 degrees. So great that you noticed and responded to the bullying and bought him his own tank! Very Happy

I have no experience with gourami, frogs, or kribensis cichlids, so I cannot comment there! 

I still think it would be beneficial to up the group of black skirts. In my experience, they become either reclusive or overly aggressive when in small groups. It is amazing to see the positive change in their behaviour when in a bigger group - such a fantastic fish with personality plus! 

I also agree with Gary about the denisons....they will quickly outgrow that tank. Our denisons are huge! They are also very fast and graceful, so fun to watch in a good size tank! 

Congrats on your two new tanks! Smile
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by fish lady Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:16 pm

i would say your full
denison barbs can grow 15 cm (6in) min tank 55g
black skirt tetras do best in groups of 5 or more
as for the betta he is best on his own in a 5.5g
fish lady
fish lady
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JanesAddiction Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:29 pm

I had my Crowntail in with my 2 African Dwarf Frogs and a bunch of male guppies with a problem and they were fancy guppies. I only moved him cause I needed some color in my 36g in my kitchen.
JanesAddiction
JanesAddiction
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:31 pm

When I got my first tank (60 litres, around 20 gallons) I fell in love with gouramis and I still am. However, I decided, in my ignorance, to buy 1 fish from each type of gourami that I saw.

This meaning 3 dwarfs (cobalt blue, wild type and sunset) and a pearl before getting problems.

The smallest of the dwarfs developed hole in the head because of the stress and I had to separate him. I was able to keep him alive for months, but only on medication. In the end I had to euthanise him.

Another dwarf got literally killed and the killer followed soon afterwards because of (internal?) injuries.

By that time I was on a forum and I found out that dwarfs are one of the most territorial gouramis around and that I could keep at the most 2 gouramis if I ensured I had lots of decor and live plants to break sight.

Unfortunately, I had to learn the hard way....

In your case, I would sell the denisons as they will soon get too big, and up the group of black skirt tetras.
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by MartyM Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:51 pm

Thanks for all the replies! I have no problem upgrading to a larger tank when the denisons out grow this one. It seems like the black skirts have an awesome relationship with the denisons spending most their time real close together almost forming a mixed school, which is why i haven't upped the number of them. They seem to be real happy, but i may get a couple more then to save future headaches. Thanks.

MartyM
Fish Fry
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:54 pm

The thing is, you are an aquarist who has taken the time to find a forum. You've posted a message. You've made an effort, which shows you care.

As you learn, you'll combine that with your positive approach, and your fish will thrive. They need attention, care, and an intelligent approach to their keeping. They'll pay back with health, growth, colour, growth, charm, and growth.

I don't believe there has ever been an interested aquarist who did not want to see and learn about more fish. We want to shoehorn more and more fish into our tanks. We are not always high on the self-discipline front when we walk into aquarium stores...
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down