Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for a 35 Hexagon tank????

5 posters

Go down

Looking for a 35 Hexagon tank???? Empty Looking for a 35 Hexagon tank????

Post by nyleveiam Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:55 am

I know you guys are mostly in Canada and it's different as far as shipping, etc., BUT I am searching for a 35 gallon hexagon tank. I prefer glass but Acrylic would work.
I love this size and it fits my hexagon table perfectly, would love one to put my Angels in and move the 28 Hex with the endlers to my desk.
Sadly, the ones I am finding online have decent prices ($150), but prohibitive shipping costs (try $15 PER POUND!!!), and no one local seems to even be able to get them.
The All Clear acrylic ones are way, way too expensive. I am keeping my eye on Craig's list but so far no go.
Montreal isn't impossible for me to drive to, IF the price and exchange is right.
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Looking for a 35 Hexagon tank???? Empty Re: Looking for a 35 Hexagon tank????

Post by Sbenson11 Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:53 am

I have one sitting around empty, but it will house a pair of angle fish if I even get the time to set it up.

Good luck in your search.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by nyleveiam Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:44 pm

Ah ha, I found one...my lfs can order me one for $200 and also give me a 15% OLD PERSON discount! I told them to order it!!! I also found an acrylic one for $250, free shipping, but that is a lot of money for something I really do not want, I want GLASS!!!
The sad part is I have to drain the 20 hex almost empty to move it (with the endlers) a total distance of ONE METER!!!! Ugh. (Notice how you Canadians have caused me to think in meters instead of inches???? I was going to say one yard and three inches, then realized that was a meter! Still don't have those liters, though.)
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:17 pm

I have been living it for the past 35 years and it's still a 1/2" wrench, it's still a 2x4, it's still a 24" Koi and it's still a 55Gal tank.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by hello_rockview12 Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:40 pm

Yeah, I'm a late 80s baby and I still go half and half. We are all mixed up up here. I know how far things are in KMs, how tall people are in feet, how heavy people are in pounds, how much water my fish tank holds in gallons, how much gas fits in my car in litres...what a pain. I feel like the metric system makes so much more sense mathematically but in order for it to work you have to commit 100% not just 50%.

Good job finding the right tank! It's not always easy when you're after a specific somewhat oddball shape rather than a standard 10, 20, 33, 75 etc.
hello_rockview12
hello_rockview12
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by nyleveiam Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:48 pm

Yeah, the table, hexagon shaped, is exactly 24 1/2 inches. This tank is 24 inches at it's widest, but the 55 gallon hex, JUST $50 more, is 25 inches wide... and, since the table also has a groove ground out with a router all around the edge, I didn't quite dare trust that half inch... that's a lot of weigh if it's not supported fully, and I would always be a nervous Nellie looking at a half inch of tank potentially hanging over the edge all the way around.. Oh well, 35 is plenty for my two angels and that extra $50 will buy a light.
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:07 pm

oh ya one more I just remembered(after eating supper),

My Sub is still a foot long, some how "I'll have a 30cm turkey & Ham" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by nyleveiam Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:50 pm

Sbenson11 wrote:oh ya one more I just remembered(after eating supper),

My Sub is still a foot long, some how "I'll have a 30cm turkey & Ham" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Steve

Yeah, I can just see it now!!! But, you gotta admit, a meter is MUCH easier than a yard and three inches! Wink
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan_R Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:44 am

Do the acrylic hexagon tanks have bent corners or is it still panels siliconed together for the tank walls?

Dan_R
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by nyleveiam Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:11 am

They have bent corners...supposed to be one piece construction. BUT, they all have the top built in and the opening is tiny, only 4 x 12 inches so cleaning is a PITA, plus finding driftwood, etc. to fit in is difficult as well.
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:16 am

You did well: both with the metric system and the new tank you ordered! I am completely metric and claimed in Canada with the consumer organisation that I had a right to get my measurements for products in the official metric system. They wrote back to me saying there was a law from 1974 (!) allowing companies to introduce the metric system in their own pace.... When I replied it would be like allowing products only to state the ingredients in Chinese, I didn't get an answer anymore....

I am glad you bought a glass tank. About 5 years back I bought a 180 litre (around 46 gallon) bowfront acyrlic tank in Mexico since I would be able to handle it all by myself. I have regretted that. It does not only scratch way to easily (I wasn't able to get the special acrylic algae scrapers in Mexico) but I also find that it opaques after several years. As a result, I can't see the fish and plants very clearly anymore.
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan_R Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:47 pm

nyleveiam wrote:They have bent corners...supposed to be one piece construction.  BUT, they all have the top built in and the opening is tiny, only 4 x 12 inches so cleaning is a PITA, plus finding driftwood, etc. to fit in is difficult as well.

Thank you.

Dan_R
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down