Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problem with java moss

3 posters

Go down

Problem with java moss Empty Problem with java moss

Post by Shell Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:21 pm

Some java moss came in with a plant that we settled in the tequila tank. I thought I got it all out, but I was wrong. It has been attaching to all of the plants in the tank and, with every WC, I continue to pull and cut it out. I wouldn't care in general, but the problem is that it is taking over the tank and it seems to be smothering all of the other plants  - not sure if this is related or not, but my gut tells me that it is as this moss is everywhere! We have lost some plants and this seems to be the only cause I can think of....Plus, it looks awful! I'm guessing the only way to solve this is to take everything out and start again? If so, this won't happen as we have too many precious babies in there, and so, if that is the case, I suppose that we be cutting and pulling this stuff out weekly!!

Don't get me wrong, I think java moss is great - but I have never experienced it taking over a tank like this before!!
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Problem with java moss Empty Re: Problem with java moss

Post by l_l_l Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:31 pm

Uhhh, Java moss is kinda like herpes.. Once you have this stuff in your tank, it's impossible to get rid of.
l_l_l
l_l_l

http://dviau.com

Back to top Go down

Problem with java moss Empty Re: Problem with java moss

Post by guppyguy Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:39 pm

That is interesting to hear I use java moss in some of my planted tanks and have never had that issue. I never have problems keeping it under control. I hear stories of java moss taking over a tanks but never seen it. I do know that even a small piece can grow and grow. But once you find all the little pieces you should not have to strip your tank down. Try to remove the clumps as one piece best you can. And do a very careful search of the tank for little pieces. Wish you luck in your hunt.
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down