Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lost both Clown Loaches - Need help!

+6
Shell
cephalotus
alexmtl
GaryE
caoder
Sandman1969
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Lost both Clown Loaches - Need help! - Page 2 Empty Lost both Clown Loaches - Need help!

Post by Sandman1969 Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

I had bought these from Pet Smart recently. I know they were eating the snails as I have seen them eat. They tended to hide quite often & I would see at least one of them laying on it's side, which they are known for as they "sleep".
I looked in the tank tonight to see one laying on it's side, but the black markings were faded & there was a dark green patch on it's under-side.
I then started looking around for the second one, only to find it's remains on the intake of the big filter. All that was left was the head.
In that tank, I have one large ID shark, 2 baby ID sharks, 2 large common plecos & several Oto cats.

Is it possible that there is something wrong with the snails? Both filters have a bunch of snails in them, so the only real way to get rid of them is to do a complete tear down of that tanks and that is just not possible.The water tests out fine, with a small increase in ammonia. I do 50% water changes and gravel cleans each week as well.
https://2img.net/h/oi59.tinypic.com/2dgm261.jpg

Any ideas as to what this is?

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Lost both Clown Loaches - Need help! - Page 2 Empty Re: Lost both Clown Loaches - Need help!

Post by Sandman1969 Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:41 pm

Ok, what I have done is taken my empty shrimp pellet aluminum can, punched a hole in the lid, put a bunch of algae wafers inside it.
I feel this is a losing battle due to the size of the tank, the amount of snails and their size. They are also inside the canister filter & the 10g filter. I have cleaned them out & still they come back.

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Lost both Clown Loaches - Need help! - Page 2 Empty Re: Lost both Clown Loaches - Need help!

Post by caoder Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:09 pm

Being subtle is key. Don't rush it. One or 2 wafers with a plastic water bottle or Something inert. I would avoid all metals in a tank. Metals are usually toxic if they are released into the tank.
caoder
caoder
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalotus Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:39 am

I can send you some assassin snails in the spring if you want Smile
cephalotus
cephalotus
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2