Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Koi Living in a Tank That is Far too Small...

5 posters

Go down

Koi Living in a Tank That is Far too Small... Empty Koi Living in a Tank That is Far too Small...

Post by goldfishbetalover Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:22 pm

We were out for dinner last night
The restaurant has a large tank...there were 6 koi in it...5 of them were over a foot long the 6th was smaller
they could barely turn around
does anyone know if restaurants are permitted to allow such a thing to happen
I am sick over it!
Shell has given me a link to a website for animals and protection or something like that in Canada....
These poor fish are living in a tiny tank compared to their size! I felt like taking them all with me........
I did speak to the lady who was looking after us about my concern she said she would relay it to the manager.
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Koi Living in a Tank That is Far too Small... Empty Re: Koi Living in a Tank That is Far too Small...

Post by Sbenson11 Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:43 pm

unfortunately all to common and I blame the chains that sell them. People are attracted to the colors of the fish and don't realize the beasts that they will become.

I have rescued several over the years that were in a similar situation.

Send them over to me, still room at the inn Smile

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Koi Living in a Tank That is Far too Small... Empty Re: Koi Living in a Tank That is Far too Small...

Post by goldfishbetalover Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:14 pm

yes it is a chain restaurant!
I thought of you right away and thought if only I could get them out of here I am sure Steve would take them!
I can't believe they are "allowed" if you will to do such a thing!
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishbetalover Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:15 pm

oh I think when you used chain you were not referring to chain restaurants!
I am just so upset about this....
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:28 pm

There are no regulations that I know of - some local restaurants have fish in them you can pick out for food, so the life of the fish is not a high priority.

GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishbetalover Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:49 pm

right...oh my goodness I am so sick about this!
I know it happens all over the place...but I saw it with my own eyes...and I cannot get those poor fish out of my head....
they could have colorful cichilids in there instead and allow the koi's to live happily in a pond!
I really can't imagine how anyone could look at the tank and think the fish had enough room to live!
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:04 pm

If it really bothers you, call them up and see if they would be interested in sending them to a permanent home. I would need someone to package them up and bring them to the airport, but I would spring for the shipping.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishbetalover Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:45 pm

I will....
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:06 am

We have an animal rights group here who fight this type of battle everyday. It is sad that nothing is generally done, but as mentioned above, this may also be due to the fact that fish are sometimes held in tanks so that people can choose their meal. I always avoid looking at the lobsters in the grocery store for this reason. I once began to cry at the grocery store when I saw the tank full, with lobsters stacked on top of each other, unable to move.  Crying or Very sad 

There is another restaurant here with a tank full of big fish, including large angel fish, clown loaches, plecos, pictus catfish, etc. While the tank may look "pretty," I find it hard to eat there, as I am constantly looking at how those poor fish can barely move around.

Of course, I have a large heart! Sometimes i think too big. I don't know if you remember this goldfishbetalover, but, one time when I was little, dad had live lobster to cook at the house. I took one, filled the tub with water, added salt, put the lobster in, and locked myself and the lobster in the bathroom! Dad was yelling at me to open the door and mom was crying, telling dad to stop...what a scene! Well, dad did get his lobster (it was easy to unlock the bathroom door from the outside!), but cooking live lobster became a "no no" in the house after that...if it did happen, it was always kept from me!  Laughing
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebike Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:58 am

I got my fist Koi a few years ago.

I had posted an ad on Craigslist offering to take tames and the contents for free.

I got the call to pick up a 33 gallon tank.
It had a 12" ID Shark and a 14" koi.

They were glad to get into my 90 gallon for the winter.
[img]Koi Living in a Tank That is Far too Small... KoiBig[/img]
mikebike
mikebike
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

http://www.mwn.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:19 am

mikebike wrote:I got my fist Koi a few years ago.

I had posted an ad on Craigslist offering to take tames and the contents for free.

I got the call to pick up a 33 gallon tank.
It had a 12" ID Shark and a 14" koi.

They were glad to get into my 90 gallon for the winter.

Wowsa - I bet they definitely were glad to be out of the 33! What a big beautiful koi! Great pic  Very Happy
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebike Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks,
it was 18"+ when I moved it from my blue box pond 600gallon summer tank to my 2200 gallon pond for over wintering last fall.

Cheers
mikebike
mikebike
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

http://www.mwn.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishbetalover Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:50 pm

just an update
called the restaurant today
the manager was not in
will be there tomorrow afternoon
I will be calling the and hoping he will be open to allowing these fish to go to a permanent appropriate forever home...
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:07 pm

Thanks for the update.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishbetalover Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:58 am

spoke to the manager of the restaurant
very nice person
raised the fish from 2 inches
after our conversation says he will do some research re koi and their tank size requirements....
they are residing in 12o gallons...6 of them...5 of them well over 1 foot long
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:01 pm

goldfishbetalover wrote:spoke to the manager of the restaurant
very nice person
raised the fish from 2 inches
after our conversation says he will do some research re koi and their tank size requirements....
they are residing in 12o gallons...6 of them...5 of them well over 1 foot long

Nice work! You never know, he may learn something and rehome them, or he may not. The thing is, you'll never know until you try! I truly believe many people do not mean any harm....they are just unaware. Then, there are others who are aware, but aren't bothered by it or they are not convinced...

All we can do is reach out in a friendly way to one person at a time and maybe make a change  Very Happy 
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishbetalover Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:19 pm

and yes I do not think he means any harm
as said he seems attached
he knows I will be checking in again and is very open to this....
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:44 pm

thanks for the follow up, let me know if I can help.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishbetalover Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:37 am

will do!
told him I have a "friend" who is willing to take them if they need a home!!!!!!!
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down