Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Planted aquarium Lighting timer schedule?

4 posters

Go down

Planted aquarium Lighting timer schedule? Empty Planted aquarium Lighting timer schedule?

Post by Scotiaquatics Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:11 pm

I have a 29 g planted tank with 9 fish (1 Betta, 3 Diamond Tetra, 3 Buenos Aires Tetras, and 2 Platy's). The plants are Java Ferns, Anubias, and grass. Just wondering what would a good length of time to have the light on be (Light is flora Sun 5 k). I have a timer and have it set to turn on at 10 am and turn off at 7 pm, is this to much or just right?

Scotiaquatics
Fish Fry
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Planted aquarium Lighting timer schedule? Empty Re: Planted aquarium Lighting timer schedule?

Post by Fores41 Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:03 pm

That is hard to say I have a 55 G with 3 lights 6700's on from 7:30 am till 7 pm and my plants are doing well and I have my Algae under control so far. 8- 12 hrs of light is usually normal for most tanks so if your algae is under control and plants are doing well your good to go. Your plants are what you should go by if they are doing well then good.If not give them more light.
Fores41
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Planted aquarium Lighting timer schedule? Empty Re: Planted aquarium Lighting timer schedule?

Post by Scotiaquatics Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:27 pm

Thats exactly what I thought. Some other people I know say that 6-8 hours is the max time to have them on though that sounds low to me. well, why ruin a good thing right, I will keep them on the time schedule I have set then. Thank you.

Scotiaquatics
Fish Fry
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:17 am

I agree with Fores41 - the plants will tell you. Personally, I go with 12 hours a day and set my timers so I can see my tanks for as long as possible. A dark tank is often a neglected one. Since I am home in the evening, my lights go off at 10.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Repteel Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:27 pm

I have lights on for a bit less. But my tanks are in my main living area so the get lots of ambient light and even half hour of direct light in the summertime. Also my tanks are fairly shallow. Ultimately try it for a bit then you can adjust them.
Repteel
Repteel
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Scotiaquatics Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:25 am

There seems to be no issues with algae atm so me thinks I will put my timer from 9 am until 9 pm, for plant growth and viewing pleasure. Always keeping a watchful on the tank.

Scotiaquatics
Fish Fry
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down