Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

In for an experiment?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

In for an experiment?

Post by Biulu on Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

For some of you the summer is a 'dead' period in terms of fish keeping whereas for others it finally gives them time to spend some more time on their hobby.

I would like to propose to those that want to try something out, to put some of their fish outside this summer. You don't need to have a pond or a high tech set-up for this, nor a garden. Actually, a 'Walstad' type set-up with lots of plants in a container as small as 5 gallons goes a long way to keep several fish successfully outside in a corner of a balcony or a small patio.

Some of you may remember the set up of @Guppyguy from last year, where he turned an old garbage bin in a summer residence for endlers and other livebearers. For the past 2 years I have successfully kept guppies and swordtails outside and this has made me long for more. The critters and algae in this setup made that I hardly did any feeding and no water changes at all. Only some top ups during drier times.

I plan to keep a pair of paradise fish in a 20 gallon container with a lotus and some hornwort this summer, as well I am working on a set up for leopard danios. To this end I bought a 70 liter container in Canadian Tire, acquired a Madagascar lace plant and plenty of moss.

There are plenty of fish that qualify for a summer vacation outside, like several barb types, some corydoras and minnows or even shrimp.
@Alexmtl: what about trying to keep a few of your sunfish outside this summer and see how they fare compared to the ones inside?

I will post my results and set-ups in this thread and I invite others to do the same.
Who is with me for this experiment?
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Re: In for an experiment?

Post by Biulu on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:22 am

@Sbenson11 wrote:Very cool, filling in nice.

Bigger plans for next year?

Steve

No. Small is beautiful...... Very Happy
Plus, I don't have the space and don't want to get into high tech things. If anything, I might set up a 3rd one next year.....
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Fores41 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:28 pm

Sorry Builu this summer looks like a bust for me as my Paridise fish did not come in and then getting evacuated did not help.
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Fores41 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:28 pm

Just got home yesterday worked today and may be evacuated again. Sheesh!!! dang fires. at least I got to feed the fish and top up tanks.
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by alexmtl on Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:06 pm

@Fores41 wrote:Just got home yesterday worked today and may be evacuated again. Sheesh!!! dang fires. at least I got to feed the fish and top up tanks.

Fores41, Good to hear from you and that your safe.
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu on Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:18 am

Oh gosh! Definitely not a nice situation to be in! Maybe we should send you guys some of our water; the Saint Lawrence still has high water levels of all the rain!
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Fores41 on Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:30 am

Not evaced last night so working today I should try and take a pic and post it. Biulu we will take all the rain you can send us at this point!!!!!!send rain, send rain, send rain.please please please with sugar on it. Very Happy Very Happy
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu on Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:34 am

When sugar burns you get caramel, right?
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Fores41 on Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:08 am

Not sure about that one Biulu. not a candy maker
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top