Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cleaning an aquarium with sand bottom

4 posters

Go down

cleaning an aquarium with sand bottom Empty cleaning an aquarium with sand bottom

Post by Sandman1969 Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:59 pm

I have tried the syphon, but it seems that it is not strong enough to suck in the bad stuff that my koi/goldfish leave behind. So any tips & what else to try?

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

cleaning an aquarium with sand bottom Empty Re: cleaning an aquarium with sand bottom

Post by GaryE Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:17 pm

Try a gravel vacuum. It works off a siphon, but does a fine job.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

cleaning an aquarium with sand bottom Empty Re: cleaning an aquarium with sand bottom

Post by Sandman1969 Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:50 pm

That's what I've been using. Doesn't seem strong enough.

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:33 am

It should be, so I suspect you have a lot of sand cleaning ahead - things must have gotten messy in there. You just keep doing it over and over again until it's clean, then you just keep doing it over and over again.

Koi are outdoor, pond fish. There are reasons for that. When I had them and goldies at the school, I would vacuum and repeat "*&*&^&*! goldfish" over and over again. I will never, ever keep a big herbivore like that in a fishtank again. Life is too short to keep manure producing fish correctly, unless you have a pond or a greenhouse like Steve.

I suspect the thread has come full circle, as if the gravel vac ain't doing it, you can see why the algae is flourishing. It's an overload of nutrients in the tank, and no filter or device will handle that. Massive endless water changes and gravel vacuuming are the only way.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalotus Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:19 am

You could also try a bigger siphon/vac. I have two, and the smaller diameter one definitely has less sucking power.
cephalotus
cephalotus
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:34 am

cephalotus wrote:You could also try a bigger siphon/vac. I have two, and the smaller diameter one definitely has less sucking power.

Definitely something I have noticed too.
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

http://www.Canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman1969 Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:18 am

I've only seen longer ones, not wider.

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down