Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloudy water after water change

+3
Biulu
the clean guy
Starfish
7 posters

Go down

Cloudy water after water change Empty Cloudy water after water change

Post by Starfish Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:39 pm

Does anyone have any idea why my aquariums go cloudy after a water change? Usually it is back to clear after 24 hours. Today I did a 25% change on my 75g and cleaned the filter. Now the water is extremely cloudy. I let the water age for at least 24 hours before it goes in my tank, except that I was 4 gallons short so used water direct from the tap (with conditioner). I use Big Al's multi-purpose water conditioner. Is the cloudiness bad for my fish?
Starfish
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Cloudy water after water change Empty Re: Cloudy water after water change

Post by the clean guy Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:49 pm

Cloudy water after a water change can happen; the cloudiness is often the result of dissolved organic compounds in the water. A bacteria bloom occurs resulting in the cloudy water. It should clear up in a day
the clean guy
the clean guy
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:54 pm

I always get cloudy water when I do a water change in my sand substrate tank. It doesn't matter how careful I am, there are always particles flying up in the water, making it cloudy....
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfish Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:56 pm

My tank is gravel, so I can't blame it on sand. scratch 
Starfish
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:55 pm

Interesting topic. When I change the water in the 55 gallon, which has river stones, I never have any cloudiness. When I change the 5.5 gallon, however, which has plant substrate, I always get a bit of cloudiness. And, again, whenever we change the 220 gallon, which has sand, we always get a lot of cloudiness. The weird thing is, with the 10 gallon, which also has sand, though a softer sand than the 220, it never seems to get cloudy?!

I have never really worried about it, it does not seem to bother the fish, and it always clears up in no time. I always just assumed it had to do with distrubing the substrate, and the total make-up of the substrate (maybe some types of substrate hold in more gunk than others which gets released with the pressure of a WC?!)...likely a lot of stuff in there just waiting to 'swim' out!  Now that it has been brought up,  I do wonder what the real reason is for cloudiness versus no cloudiness!
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfish Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:53 pm

Well my tank is clear again today. All occupants look fine. I don't know why it does this. I just have to make sure I clean the tank at least a day ahead if we are having visitors. Can't have a cloudy tank on display.
Starfish
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alexmtl Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:00 pm

I had the same problem with cloudy water when I changed the water in my tanks, many years ago. I bought a diatom filter to "polish" the water. This was a hyper fast and very turbulent filter, but it cleared the water in no time. It seemed traumatic for the fish though, especially in the smaller sized tanks. I do miss my diatom and wish I had not discarded it along with so many Aquaclears, years ago. You can get "water polishing" out of some of the canisters now, but I remember the diatom so well.
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:38 pm

alexmtl wrote:I had the same problem with cloudy water when I changed the water in my tanks, many years ago. I bought a diatom filter to "polish" the water. This was a hyper fast and very turbulent filter, but it cleared the water in no time. It seemed traumatic for the fish though, especially in the smaller sized tanks. I do miss my diatom and wish I had not discarded it along with so many Aquaclears, years ago. You can get "water polishing" out of some of the canisters now, but I remember the diatom so well.
I remember those as well, did a great job.

Actually I saw one of those old glass ones on kijiji recently and almost picked it up.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebike Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:41 am

I have AquaClear HOB filters on most of my smaller -50 gallon tanks.

I pull the filter and add filter floss/polyester pillow filler to the HOB and in a couple of hours I can see an improvemnent.

IHTH
mikebike
mikebike
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

http://www.mwn.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfish Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:28 am

mikebike wrote:I have AquaClear HOB filters on most of my smaller -50 gallon tanks.

I pull the filter and add filter floss/polyester pillow filler to the HOB and in a couple of hours I can see an improvemnent.

IHTH
I have an AC HOB on my 29g and a Fluval canister on my 75g. I use the pillow filler in my canister. However, both tanks are cloudy for a day after a water change. Seems the more water I change out, the cloudier they will be.
Starfish
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down