Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heater placement

+2
Sbenson11
Sandman1969
6 posters

Go down

Heater placement Empty Heater placement

Post by Sandman1969 Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:42 am

Never wondered about this til now. But with a 130 gallon tank, what is the best placement for the heater? Should it be at the end or the middle?
I currently have mine at the one end of the tank.

There's 2 different sticker type thermometers with one being a Marina which shows 81F while the other, bought from Big Al's shows a temp of 80. Both are at opposite ends of the tank.

Or should I just take the heater out of the goldfish/koi tank & put it at the opposite end of the 130?

On a side note, my 130G now smells fishy. It never has in the last 4 years have had a smell. Any ideas? It houses 3 ID sharks and a pleco.
And yes, I know about their size.

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Heater placement Empty Re: Heater placement

Post by Sbenson11 Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:15 pm

I'm no expert on heaters, don't really have much use for them. However it is good to have one for your Goldfish/Koi in case of a Ich outbreak and you need to raise the temperature.

As far as the heater in your tropical tank is concerned, I would think somewhere in the middle. Somewhere where there is good water flow would be my suggestion. How many watts is the heater? Big differance in the heat put out by a 100watt as compared to a 300watt.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:28 pm

I don't use many heaters, just in breeding tanks. I put them in an area where the water is moving to the rest of the tank, usually close to a powerhead or filter outflow.

The fishy smell says more water changes are needed. I've had it appear a few times here, and a good filter cleaning and increased weekly changes usually do the trick.
The only other reason is sometimes if you change the food, it can cause odours.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman1969 Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:01 pm

Maybe the lack of water changes as I tend to skip one or 2 weekly changes on it.
The heater is an Ehiem Jager at 250 watts. If it sits in the middle, it may end up against the pvc cave. Would that melt it??

Also, is there a time limit on making posts? Keep getting timeouts when I hit send.

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Sandman1969 wrote:Maybe the lack of water changes as I tend to skip one or 2 weekly changes on it.
The heater is an Ehiem Jager at 250 watts. If it sits in the middle, it may end up against the pvc cave. Would that melt it??

Also, is there a time limit on making posts? Keep getting timeouts when I hit send.
http://www.canadaquaria.ca/t2203-vanishing-posts#27853
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

http://www.Canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Corvette70 Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:52 am

I would recommend two heaters if possiable. With 2 heaters they work alot less and you always have a back up one in the tank if one fails,which I have had happen? The Jager heaters have thicker glass than most heaters do which make them alot stronger. I do however keep protectors on mine with larger fish such as fast moving ir sharks so they aren't broken buy the fish.
Corvette70
Corvette70
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebike Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:17 pm

I second the 2 heaters to have the fail safe back up if one quits.
mikebike
mikebike
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

http://www.mwn.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman1969 Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:03 pm

Corvette70 wrote:I would recommend two heaters if possiable. With 2 heaters they work alot less and you always have a back up one in the tank if one fails,which I have had happen? The Jager heaters have thicker glass than most heaters do which make them alot stronger. I do however keep protectors on mine with larger fish such as fast moving  ir sharks so they aren't broken buy the fish.

I had a protector on mine, but it got broken enough to where it no longer stays on the heater tube.
Would having the heater on the glass sideways make a difference?

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebike Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:14 pm

mine were laying sideways on the bottom
mikebike
mikebike
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

http://www.mwn.ca