Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suggestion of new fish for my 46g

4 posters

Go down

Suggestion of new fish for my 46g Empty Suggestion of new fish for my 46g

Post by l_l_l Sun May 25, 2014 7:20 am

Hi there!
I'm presently toying with the idea of transfering my celestial pearl danio colony (12) to my 20gallon aquarium. That would leave a spot for a few fish to be added in the 46g.
I'm looking for a bright colored fish, probably red, to add a nice splash of color to the tank.

My aquarium has 12 rummy nose tetras, a few corydoras (pygmy), 3 peacock gudgeons, 5 amano shrimp, 3 nerite snails, and a pearl gourami.

I was looking at serpae tetras but they are too much of fin nippers to my liking..
Now, what kind of fish would you put in there?

Smile
l_l_l
l_l_l

http://dviau.com

Back to top Go down

Suggestion of new fish for my 46g Empty Re: Suggestion of new fish for my 46g

Post by caoder Sun May 25, 2014 7:23 am

Have you looked into various rainbows? Currently there are some psudomugil paskais available in Montreal.
caoder
caoder
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by l_l_l Sun May 25, 2014 8:18 am

Rainbows are defenitely something I am looking at, they have a lot of color and are pretty small, would make a very good addition to the tank. psudomugil paskais and alike are very nice choices, ever seen one in home aquaria? Do their colors really "pop"? I like the fact that they grow no larger than 1.5 inches
l_l_l
l_l_l

http://dviau.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Sun May 25, 2014 9:02 pm

I would go with cherry barbs because my experience with pseudomugils and gouramis is not good. I had a nice group of gertrudaes and I lost them one by one as they were being harrassed constantly by the sparkling gouramis.

My theory is that the pseudomugils just like gouramis occupy the upper layer of the tank and are not being tolerated by them.

Cherry barbs on the other hand will be able to withstand aggression coming from your pearl.
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Mon May 26, 2014 5:39 am

Your pearl will be the issue, as they are throat nippers. Whatever you put in has to be fast, at least in bursts, and to enjoy the lower reaches of the aquarium.

I'll flip around Biulu's advice, as I just don't like cherry barbs. If you like them at first sight, you'll live them. If you don't, you never will. I would consider a Rasbora species (heteromorpha, hengeli) or a glowlight tetra group. Both have red, have speed, and have no interest in the surface. As a plus, the Rasbora courtship dance is a delight.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down