Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sawdust in aquarium!

5 posters

Go down

Sawdust in aquarium! Empty Sawdust in aquarium!

Post by Shell Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:26 am

I ran up to the office to pick up a file and when I returned home, the guys were putting the wall up by the tetra tank. They put a blanket over the side of the tank by the fireplace, but the rest of the tank was open. They were drilling away and there was dust all over the filters, tank, etc., and so I am positive some got into the tank water. I immediately covered the entire tank up with a blanket. The guys said they had been drilling for about 5 minutes before I arrived. Should I be concerned? Once they are done, I'll take the filters out and rinse them and the media. But what about the tank and my fish? Should I do a big water change?? My freak'n nerves.

Last edited by Shell on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Sawdust in aquarium! Empty Re: Sawdust in aquarium!

Post by caoder Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:33 am

Sawdust is inert for the most part and it floats. Dont worry about it.
caoder
caoder
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:19 am

caoder wrote:Sawdust is inert for the most part and it floats. Dont worry about it.

Okay - thanks, thats a relief! The dust has settled and so I took the blankets off of the tank. All looks well, really nothing 'that I can see' floating in there. I wiped down the filter units and tank hood, but I think all else is well in there...phew!
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by hello_rockview12 Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:24 am

If you're ever worried, a major water change never hurts!!!!!
hello_rockview12
hello_rockview12
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:37 am

hello_rockview12 wrote:If you're ever worried, a major water change never hurts!!!!!

If you can believe it (and you know enough about me now, so you likely will!), I forgot to throw a blanket over their container that is holding their fresh, room temp water - and it is now full of dust too! I can't win  Razz I'm gonna clean the bin out and refill it now, then throw a heater in so it will be ready for a WC tonight!  I honestly can be so daft at times, it worries me  Laughing 
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by nyleveiam Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:54 pm

Shell, I read the title as you SAW some dust in your tank and I was wondering what in the world you were seeing. I was jealous...I have my new super lights and I couldn't see any dust in my tanks, LOL!!
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:32 pm

nyleveiam wrote:Shell, I read the title as you SAW some dust in your tank and I was wondering what in the world you were seeing.   I was jealous...I have my new super lights and I couldn't see any dust in my tanks, LOL!!

Ha! I didn't even notice that I broke sawdust up into two words! Whoops - now that I look at my title -  yup, looks like I actually saw dust floating around!  Laughing

I'll have to fix that so others don't read the title and think I am an odd cat who actually sits and looks for dust in my aquariums!! I am, however, odd...just not to that extent!   

On CAC I once titled a thread something like "Bare Bottom Pandas?". My question was about keeping panda corydoras in a tank with no substrate!! I didn't even realize how funny it 'sounded'!  Razz
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalotus Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:58 pm

omg "bare bottom pandas" just made me literally laugh out loud!
cephalotus
cephalotus
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down