Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spawning season!

4 posters

Go down

Spawning season! Empty Spawning season!

Post by Biulu Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:45 am

Now that the temperatures are going up and barometer up and down, has anybody noticed any spawning activities in their fish?

I witnessed this morning my corydora aeneus spawn like crazy! It was a great sight although most of the eggs were eaten by my juvenile paradise fish.

I have a nice group of 9 aeneus that I got about 1.5 years ago but never did anything for me. Last week I moved them into a new tank with flow and I found eggs the next morning.

There were about 30 eggs and I divided them between the 'ramshorn snail method' and an improvised device of a coffee filter, methylene blue and a bubbler.

I got 7 fry, all with the 'ramshorn snail method'. Today I was better prepared but so were the paradise fish!

They were really stalking the aeneus and as soon as she got an egg on the glass they were there too to eat it. So, I stood guard and chased them off but with multiple spawnings at the same time, it was a hard job. I got about 30 eggs that I put in an egg tumbler that I got at the OVAS auction.

The process was interesting to watch. First the male and female get into the famous T position. At this point in time the eggs are fertilised. I assume but am not sure about that, that the female triggers the male to release milt that then moves down your underside to the eggs that she keeps between her pectoral fins.

When the fertilisation is done, she is 'numb' for a few minutes. I was surprised to see this. It is like a betta female during spawning, a kind of trance position where they don't move and just float downwards.

Once she recovers, the goes up and down the glass to find a suitable spot to deposit her eggs. The eggs are clearly visible between her pectoral fins. In my case, the females deposited 5 - 7 large eggs a time and this was repeated for over an hour. A smaller female produced more eggs a time, but they were much smaller and I wonder whether they are fertile.

Does anybody have any other spawning stories?
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Spawning season! Empty Re: Spawning season!

Post by alexmtl Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:19 pm

Biulu wrote:Now that the temperatures are going up and barometer up and down, has anybody noticed any spawning activities in their fish?

What music are you playing ?? Barry White
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0I6mhZ5wMw
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedex Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:18 pm

I strongly suspect you got more eggs initially, just they were eaten in the tank. The group of C. aeneus I had gave easily 150 at a time. Congrats on what you did catch before the nosy paradise fish got in there!

My rainbows are *usually* spawning on a daily basis. Last week my group of Tateurndina ocellicauda gave me a clutch of eggs. Unfortunately I didn't pull them in time, and the male had a good snack. The group looks to be getting ready again though, I will be pulling these as soon as I see them.

Zedex
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:59 pm

I am sure I did! I see egg marks everywhere on the glass.... I know they will get at it again this year though. Plus who wants to end up with a 100 aeneus?!

I love the peacock gudgeons! I used to take the tube out after 2 days. The male I had was holding on so tightly that even outside the water he'd stay put. I would have to poke him out!
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by l_l_l Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:15 am

I have noticed that my male Betta Splendens started bubble nesting recently..

And one of my angels has started to show off to the others, but that might be coincidental to him now being old enough for reproduction.

I have dropped a mop in my Kilifish tank and didn't find eggs yet, but not sure if it's because they have been eaten by the other fishes in the tank Razz
l_l_l
l_l_l

http://dviau.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedex Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:46 am

Biulu wrote:I am sure I did! I see egg marks everywhere on the glass.... I know they will get at it again this year though. Plus who wants to end up with a 100 aeneus?!

I love the peacock gudgeons! I used to take the tube out after 2 days. The male I had was holding on so tightly that even outside the water he'd stay put. I would have to poke him out!

Point taken... it'd be a good haul if you have connections at a lfs though.

That's good parenting! lol

Zedex
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down