Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.


Enjoying a coffee....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Enjoying a coffee....

Post by Biulu on Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:11 am

This place has become my favourite for after lunch coffee here in Danang (Central Vietnam). I think you can see why.....

IMG_0734 by Biulu, on Flickr

IMG_0724 by Biulu, on Flickr

IMG_0732 by Biulu, on Flickr
avatar
Biulu
Support

Posts : 3674
Join date : 2013-09-12
Location : Montreal, Quebec

Back to top Go down

Re: Enjoying a coffee....

Post by l_l_l on Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:18 am

Very nice place! Their fish look beautiful Smile

_________________
Check out my facebook page or website (or even better, BOTH!)
DViau Aquascaping on facebook
www.dviau.com
avatar
l_l_l
Moderator

Posts : 1458
Join date : 2014-03-08
Location : Montreal, QC

http://dviau.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Enjoying a coffee....

Post by Fores41 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:45 am

Very Nice Biulu
Wish I had something like that around here.
avatar
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Posts : 671
Join date : 2013-09-17
Location : Williams Lake,BC

Back to top Go down

Re: Enjoying a coffee....

Post by waterbearr on Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:52 pm

Oh you are in Vietnam?  How lucky!  I've always wanted to go.

That french style Vietnamese coffee gives a good buzz!

@Fores41 wrote:Very Nice Biulu
Wish I had something like that around here.

Hehe the coffee or the pond? You can get that at any Vietnamese restaurant or alternatively purchase all the supplies to brew or rather steep your own from any Asian Supermarket.
avatar
waterbearr
Shrimp
Shrimp

Posts : 40
Join date : 2016-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Enjoying a coffee....

Post by Biulu on Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:50 pm

I am currently in Pleiku; Vietnam's coffee capital. Last night I bought 1 kg of coffee to bring home!

The pond is at least 20 meters long and the climate permits you to have your fish outside all year round. I am sure that many of our members would dream of this, especially our koi fan Steve. @SBenson11
avatar
Biulu
Support

Posts : 3674
Join date : 2013-09-12
Location : Montreal, Quebec

Back to top Go down

Re: Enjoying a coffee....

Post by GaryE on Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:21 am

It's become a common refrain in the "industry" to say the aquarium hobby is dying in North America and Europe. The collapse of the advanced info sources (books and magazines) and the way they haven't re-emerged electronically, the drop off in fish breeding as a hobby, the poor quality of the chain stores, the bankruptcies of mid sized stores, etc - all point to a serious decline.
The flip side is the hobby seems very vibrant in Asia. Is that the sense you get as you travel and see cool places like that cafe?
avatar
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Posts : 2471
Join date : 2013-09-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Enjoying a coffee....

Post by Repteel on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:44 pm

Looks like I got start enjoying coffee more.
avatar
Repteel
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Posts : 120
Join date : 2014-11-22
Location : Red Deer

Back to top Go down

Re: Enjoying a coffee....

Post by Biulu on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:22 am

@GaryE wrote:It's become a common refrain in the "industry" to say the aquarium hobby is dying in North America and Europe. The collapse of the advanced info sources (books and magazines) and the way they haven't re-emerged electronically, the drop off in fish breeding as a hobby, the poor quality of the chain stores, the bankruptcies of mid sized stores, etc - all point to a serious decline.
The flip side is the hobby seems very vibrant in Asia. Is that the sense you get as you travel and see cool places like that cafe?

In the Asian countries that I know best (China and Vietnam) the hype of fish keeping is definitively over and replaced by the trend to keep a (small) pet dog. With its large population China of course still has a sizable number of hobbyists but the time that I was drooling over the plants I could get in Hanoi is definitively over.

When I was in Hanoi last year, I went to visit the 'aquarium' street. When I was there about 5 years earlier, the whole street was lined with fish shops, selling tanks, complete set-ups and a large variety of plants. Last year however, there was very little of that left. A few shops, still selling tanks and mediocre fish and almost no plants anymore.

I found a store with an owner that used to make great aquascapes. I recognised the owner but all he was selling now were some fish; no plants in sight. Through his son that spoke some English and my rudimentary Vietnamese, I found out that he quit stocking plants as nobody was interested anymore.

A similar thing I found in China. In front of the forestry department in Wuhan where I worked, used to be a large collection of fish stores where you could get large anubia plants for 50 cents, and nice platinum angels for the same price. They had specially heated parts in the store where they kept their tropicals. Two years ago, there was hardly anything left of it and the fish choice had been reduced once more to gold fish and guppies and of course some parrot cichlids, preferably tattooed
avatar
Biulu
Support

Posts : 3674
Join date : 2013-09-12
Location : Montreal, Quebec

Back to top Go down

Re: Enjoying a coffee....

Post by Sbenson11 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:42 am

Hey Biulu, order me a cup of Coffee, I will be there in a few minutes. Smile

I will bring some Koi food.

Steve
avatar
Sbenson11
Support

Posts : 2567
Join date : 2013-09-08
Location : Mt.Pearl, Newfoundland

Back to top Go down

Re: Enjoying a coffee....

Post by Tashina on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:02 pm

Oh wow, that is so beautiful, I would get up earlier every morning (and I am NOT a morning person) just to enjoy a peaceful cup of coffee there.
avatar
Tashina
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Posts : 112
Join date : 2014-12-27
Location : Near Winnipeg, Manitoba

Back to top Go down

Re: Enjoying a coffee....

Post by Biulu on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:18 pm

@Sbenson11 wrote:Hey Biulu, order me a cup of Coffee, I will be there in a few minutes. Smile

I will bring some Koi food.

Steve

Waiting for you here Steve! How do you like your coffee?
avatar
Biulu
Support

Posts : 3674
Join date : 2013-09-12
Location : Montreal, Quebec

Back to top Go down

Re: Enjoying a coffee....

Post by alexmtl on Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:47 am

@Biulu wrote:In the Asian countries that I know best (China and Vietnam) the hype of fish keeping is definitively over and replaced by the trend to keep a (small) pet dog. With its large population China of course still has a sizable number of hobbyists but the time that I was drooling over the plants I could get in Hanoi is definitively over.

When I was in Hanoi last year, I went to visit the 'aquarium' street. When I was there about 5 years earlier, the whole street was lined with fish shops, selling tanks, complete set-ups and a large variety of plants. Last year however, there was very little of that left. A few shops, still selling tanks and mediocre fish and almost no plants anymore.

I found a store with an owner that used to make great aquascapes. I recognised the owner but all he was selling now were some fish; no plants in sight. Through his son that spoke some English and my rudimentary Vietnamese, I found out that he quit stocking plants as nobody was interested anymore.

A similar thing I found in China. In front of the forestry department in Wuhan where I worked, used to be a large collection of fish stores where you could get large anubia plants for 50 cents, and nice platinum angels for the same price. They had specially heated parts in the store where they kept their tropicals. Two years ago, there was hardly anything left of it and the fish choice had been reduced once more to gold fish and guppies and of course some parrot cichlids, preferably tattooed

Oh this is sad. I have heard that there was a boom in the Asian hobby and investment was occurring in the commercial fish trade. Not so it seems after two years. In looking back at your previous posts on your Asian visits, these fish stores offered so much variety at such low prices. Hopefully some operations will survive. I see that many still offer fish on Aquabid, but whether they remain will have to seen. Maybe they will successfully find a market through online buyers.

Thanks for the update.
avatar
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Posts : 3056
Join date : 2013-09-07
Location : Montreal Quebec

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum