Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you use to buffer your aquarium water ?

5 posters

Go down

What do you use to buffer your aquarium water ? Empty What do you use to buffer your aquarium water ?

Post by alexmtl Mon May 30, 2016 6:15 pm

What do you use to buffer your aquarium water ?

I have been using cuttlefish bones that I purchase for $1 at the local bulk dog/cat food store. However I find that it probably raises the nitrogen levels if you do not adequately age it. What are you using and where do you get the carbonate ?

Do you use tums, crushed shells, baking soda or leave it to your local water supply?
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

What do you use to buffer your aquarium water ? Empty Re: What do you use to buffer your aquarium water ?

Post by l_l_l Tue May 31, 2016 8:35 am

I've seen people using aragonite as substrate and all of them seem to really like it. This is coming from a couple of African cichlid keepers.
It's supposed to buffer at around 7.7. This is NOT based on experience tho so you can't take my word for this! lol
l_l_l
l_l_l

http://dviau.com

Back to top Go down

What do you use to buffer your aquarium water ? Empty Re: What do you use to buffer your aquarium water ?

Post by Fores41 Tue May 31, 2016 9:50 am

My water is hard enough already at about 31 degrees hardness or 540 tds and ph of 7.5 tap water is good enough unless I need it softer then I mix with bottle water.
Fores41
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Tue May 31, 2016 10:22 pm

I know that Gary adds Epsom salts after each water change for his high tds livebearers.

Personally I am way too happy having water that is not so hard after all those years in Mexico!
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Suprd71 Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:24 pm

South and Central cichlids are my thing, my tap water is very neutral on all counts, so adequate for both species of fish. I have kept Malawi Mbuna a couple of times over the years and used both Aragonite sand and crushed coral to make water more friendly to them. Either substrate raised Ph to 8 even from 7 even.
Suprd71
Suprd71
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down