Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

nutritivity of freeze dried foods

+2
GaryE
Biulu
6 posters

Go down

nutritivity of freeze dried foods Empty nutritivity of freeze dried foods

Post by Biulu Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:13 pm

Apart from feeder fish I don't have access to live food here in the south of Mexico. However, I have freeze dried red mosquito larvae and bloodworms. I feed the smaller mosquito larvae to my sparkling gouramis as I read they prefer livefoods and noticed that they were not too keen on the flakes. They fight over the mosquito larvae.

However, I read somewhere that freeze dried foods have very little nutritive value; that you can even compare it with eating cardboard. I wonder whether this is true?
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

nutritivity of freeze dried foods Empty Re: nutritivity of freeze dried foods

Post by GaryE Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:15 pm

I have never seen a credible analysis, which does not say they are not available. However, I have used freeze dried food to great effect. I haven't been able to find black mosquito larvae for years, but when the freeze dried version was available, it was a clear trigger for killie egg production.

I keep reading terrible things about (non freeze dried) decapsulated artemia cysts, but I have used it as a staple for years and love the stuff. I happily buy freeze dried foods, and the young fish grow very well on them, and breed as adults.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:14 am

Thanks! I do know that every fish gobbles it up, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it helps them to grow and flourish.
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by alexmtl Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:19 am

I had used freeze dried tubifex worms to condition corydoras for breeding and I am convinced that the nutritional value is very high, and definitely not cardboard. Removing water in the process does not denature the proteins, unlike heat.
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Suprd71 Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:45 pm

My fish get a varied freeze dried, as treats. Tubifex worms, krill, shrimp. Marinated in Boyd's Vitachem, its very good for them.
Suprd71
Suprd71
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:31 pm

Suprd71 wrote:My fish get a varied freeze dried, as treats. Tubifex worms, krill, shrimp. Marinated in Boyd's Vitachem, its very good for them.
I have never heard of Boyd's Vitachem. I assume it is a multi vitamin preparation? Does it come in a liquid or powder form?
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Suprd71 Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:00 am

Biulu wrote:
Suprd71 wrote:My fish get a varied freeze dried, as treats. Tubifex worms, krill, shrimp. Marinated in Boyd's Vitachem, its very good for them.
I have never heard of Boyd's Vitachem. I assume it is a multi vitamin preparation? Does it come in a liquid or powder form?
Yes, a liquid, I also use liquid vitaminC if I am out of Boyd's. VitC any health food store, Boyd's at most hobby suppliers, BigAls, Petsandponds, Drsfosterandsmith etc.
Suprd71
Suprd71
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyM Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:25 pm

Freeze-drying retains more nutrients, flavour and texture than all commonly available preservation methods, including regular freezing. The process is used to preserve perishable medical supplies, including blood plasma, which should give you an idea of just how effective it is.
MelodyM
MelodyM
Fish Fry
Fish Fry

http://www.allnaturalpetcare.com/Natural-Aquarium-Supplies-Fish-

Back to top Go down

Post by FishOnTheRock Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:57 am

A further question here:

Do those of you using freeze dried meaty foods like bloodworm, tubifex, or brine shrimp soak them in a bit of aquarium water before feed or just drop them in as is?

FishOnTheRock
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:44 am

I just drop them in as it as, the main reason being that most of the fish I feed them to are surface feeders. Most of the freeze dried food sinks once it becomes saturated with water.
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down