Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

kindle book ideas

View previous topic View next topic Go down

kindle book ideas

Post by The PlantGuy on Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:37 am

i get lots of questions from people through my website asking for information on this or that....I love responding to most of these questions and being able to help out. Occassionally i get questions like " I want to start a planted tank, what do i need to buy" or "I've never had a planted tank before, can you give me some advice". As much as I'd like to help out with these type of questions, i really don't have time to answer such broad questions. But it got me to thinking about writing a short e-book on "starting a planted tank for beginners"....I'm thinking of a short 50 page guide for kindle and to have on my website to give away or sell for a few bucks. I"m 10 pages in already with broad chapter headings of

lighting
substrate
CO2
filters
aquarium types
fertlizers

If anyone has any suggestions on topics to cover, or maybe something you wish you knew before getting into planted tanks. I'd also like to make it Canadian centric so if there's a topic specific for Canada, let me know...

The PlantGuy
Sponsor

http://www.theplantguy.org

Back to top Go down

Re: kindle book ideas

Post by vince0 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:00 am

troubleshooting might be a good topic. So many times people start in planted tanks, get to a point inbalance and freak out.
vince0
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfish on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:07 am

That sounds like a great idea, Plantguy. My only comment at this point would be to make it available to other devices rather than just Kindle. We have Kobos in our house. Are Kindle versions compatible with desktops, laptops and smart phones like the Kobo versions?
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The PlantGuy on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:37 am

Kindle apps are available for pretty much any device, laptop or desktop.....Kobo is the native device for kindle...

The PlantGuy
Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by The PlantGuy on Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:45 am

@vince0 wrote:troubleshooting might be a good topic. So many times people start in planted tanks, get to a point inbalance and freak out.

Excellent suggestion! thanks..

The PlantGuy
Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by hello_rockview12 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:45 am

Great plan, John! I know these are all over the internet but a good plant nutrient deficiency chart would be an excellent thing to include in the ferts section, but I'm sure you've thought of this already.
hello_rockview12
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by The PlantGuy on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:02 am

@hello_rockview12 wrote:Great plan, John!  I know these are all over the internet but a good plant nutrient deficiency chart would be an excellent thing to include in the ferts section, but I'm sure you've thought of this already.

Thanks!, will try to add that as well..

The PlantGuy
Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie on Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:55 pm

I agree with the troubleshooting, in addition to what people have mentioned, something on algae might be very useful. I do see a lot of threads all over that are asking for help in dealing with one type of algae or another in their planted tank.

Canadaquaria Administrator
www.Canadaquaria.ca
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

http://www.Canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:21 pm

For me a very important eye opener was to understand how different plants take up nutrients. After having traded out my undergravel filters for other filter types, I didn't understand that -although I did nothing different- my swords and other root feeders didn't flourish anymore the way they did with the UGF's.

Another example is that despite the low light in one of my tanks, I have been able to grow rotala very successfully thanks to the dry ferts I dose.
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by nyleveiam on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:01 pm

Basic (ie. common) types of plants with a few photos might be nice for us novices???? Also, basic light demands for each.
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum