Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many times do I feed my fish ?

4 posters

Go down

How many times do I feed my fish ? Empty How many times do I feed my fish ?

Post by alexmtl Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:30 pm

For the beginning aquarist, it is tough to know how much to feed your fish. For many reasons, and well-meaning and conscientious intentions, most tend to over feed. How do we know how much to feed and how often ?

Canada Aquaria members post their thoughts on a timeless question : How do I know if the fish are getting enough food ?
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

How many times do I feed my fish ? Empty Re: How many times do I feed my fish ?

Post by Starfish Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:05 pm

I feed my fish once a day, usually skipping one day a week. I picked Saturday for the fasting day, as that is the day I may be out or away anyway. Like most members on the forum, I try to vary the fish's diet alternating between granules, frozen shrimp, frozen daphnia, tubifex worms, dried homemade stuff from Pamelajo, zucchini and cucumber. In summer, I search standing water outside for mosquito larvae. The fish love that.

I prefer granules over flakes if I have bottom feeders. In the 10g where there are mostly top feeders and no bottom feeders, I use flakes.

Starfish
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:53 am

We have a hobby without rules. Nature is all about adaptation, and fish come from nature. I usually feed once per day for adult fish, and 2 or 3 times daily for juvenile fish growing up. I have one fast day per week for adults.
Leaner is better for fish, and I find they live longer and look better on six feedings a week.
You always have to take the time to read on your fish though. My mollies pick at food all day long, and they love not very nutritious algae and dead plants. I feed them higher fibre vegetable based foods, and go easy on the protein (for adults). I might feed them twice daily some days, with a green food.
I keep my swordtail species in tanks with a lot of water movement - they love a good current. They are always hungry and can lose weight quickly, so they get the odd second feeding as well.
If you double feed a glowlight tetra or a black neon, you'll have an ill and obese fish in no time. They are slow metabolism fish. You really have to consider the natural life of the fish. The rule for one fish may not apply to another.

Always remember that what goes in must come out. The more you feed, the more important regular water changes become...
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by the clean guy Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:57 pm

I use a auto feeder set for once a day
the clean guy
the clean guy
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down